About this book
This book was written using RStudio’s bookdown package by Yihui Xie (Xie 2020). This package simplifies the publishing of books by having all content written in R Markdown. The bookdown/R Markdown source code for all versions of ModernDive is available on GitHub:
- Latest online version The most up-to-date release:
- Print edition The CRC Press print edition of ModernDive corresponds to Version 1.1.0 (with some typos fixed).
- Future edition We are currently working on a future edition of ModernDive:
- A preview is available at https://moderndive.netlify.app/.
- Source code: Available on ModernDive’s GitHub repository page in the
- Previous online versions Older versions that may be out of date:
- Version 1.0.0 released on November 25, 2019 (source code)
- Version 0.6.1 released on August 28, 2019 (source code)
- Version 0.6.0 released on August 7, 2019 (source code)
- Version 0.5.0 released on February 24, 2019 (source code)
- Version 0.4.0 released on July 21, 2018 (source code)
- Version 0.3.0 released on February 3, 2018 (source code)
- Version 0.2.0 released on August 2, 2017 (source code)
- Version 0.1.3 released on February 9, 2017 (source code)
- Version 0.1.2 released on January 22, 2017 (source code)
Could this be a new paradigm for textbooks? Instead of the traditional model of textbook companies publishing updated editions of the textbook every few years, we apply a software design influenced model of publishing more easily updated versions. We can then leverage open-source communities of instructors and developers for ideas, tools, resources, and feedback. As such, we welcome your GitHub pull requests.
Finally, since this book is under a Creative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial - ShareAlike 4.0 license, feel free to modify the book as you wish for your own non-commercial needs, but please list the authors at the top of
index.Rmd as: “Chester Ismay, Albert Y. Kim, and YOU!”
Xie, Yihui. 2020. Bookdown: Authoring Books and Technical Documents with R Markdown. https://github.com/rstudio/bookdown.